Thursday Club News Page.
Check in here
to see if there is any news regarding us meeting up once again. I don't mind running this website and sending out the monthly email while there is still interest. But, I do need your input before I can put up a restart date for the next meeting. It's going to be up to you guys to tell me when it's OK to travel up to town again.
If there is anything else that you want to see here or any news you want to pass on, let me know. Perhaps another quiz maybe. The answers to the last one is below.
Odd Man Out Quiz Answers
1) Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Ronnie Wood, John Entwistle, Keith Moon.
Ronnie Wood was not a member of The Who.
2) Baste, Tatting, Julienne, al Dente, Coddle, au Gratin, Sweat.
Tatting is a lace making term others cooking terms
3) atto, giga, micro, milli, nano, pico
giga is one of those prefixes used for magnitudes greater than10º, the other prefix are those used for smaller magnitudes, less than10º. - giga = 1,000,000,000 or 10 to the power 9 e.g. gigahertz, gigabyte
4) Constable, Sheraton, Conran, Chippendale, Hepplewhite
Constable was an artist (painter) others are cabinet makers/furniture designers
5) Congo/Zaire, Brahmaputra, Zambezi, Niger, Volta, Nile
Brahmaputra is an Indian river others are African Rivers
6) A J Lerner, O Hammerstein, W S Gilbert, R H S Stilgoe, R C Rodgers, T M B Rice,
R C Rodgers was a composer the others are lyricists.
Just out of interest, Richard Rogers collaborated in two famous partnerships, Lorenz Hart and Oscar Hammerstein. Rogers & Hart were famous for the songs - "Blue Moon", "Isn't It Romantic?", "Mountain Greenery", "The Lady Is a Tramp", "Manhattan", "Where or When", "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered", "Falling in Love with Love", and "My Funny Valentine". Rogers & Hammerstein were famous for Broadway musicals such as "Oklahoma!", "Show Boat", "Carousel", "South Pacific", "The King and I", "Flower Drum Song", and "The Sound of Music".
7) Court Wedge Espadrilles Fully-Fashioned Pumps Mules Sling-Backs
Fully-Fashioned type of stocking others are shoe styles
8) Lieutenant Captain Major Brigadier Commodore Colonel
Commodore is a Naval rank others are Army ranks
9) 41 - 43 - 47 - 49 - 53 - 59 - 61 - 71
49 others are prime numbers
10) Orange Purple Yellow Green Blue Indigo
Purple, because the others are defined as rainbow colours
11) Bromley, Croydon, Finsbury, Harrow, Islington, Newham.
The Borough of Finsbury was a Metropolitan borough within the County of London (LCC) from 1900 to 1965, when it was amalgamated with the Metropolitan Borough of Islington to form the London Borough of Islington. The others are London boroughs of the Greater London Council (GLC).
12) Vertical Armature, Brush Feed, Comb Plate, Rotary Interrupter, Vertical Detent, Carriage Return Spring.
Brush Feed is a component part of a uniselector mechanism. The others parts are component
of a Post Office 2000 type 2 motion selector mechanism.
13) Zinc, Sodium, Gold, Tin, Brass, Silver, Copper.
Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc. The others are metallic elements.
14) David Niven, Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan , Robert Shaw, Timothy Dalton
Robert Shaw never played James Bond in a film
15) Hexagon, Trapezium, Rhombus, Parallelogram, Square
Hexagon others are all quadrilaterals
16) Mississippi, Missouri, Manitoba, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Maine
Manitoba is a Canadian State others are states of the USA.
17) Cirrus, Cumulus, Nimbus, Pinta, Stratus.
Pinta was one of Chris Columbus ships, others are cloud formations
18) Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Jane Eyre, Northanger Abbey.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë others by Jane Austin
19) Death Proof, Reservoir Dogs, Die Hard, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 1, Pulp Fiction
Die Hard is not Quentin Tarantino film
20) White, Brown, Orange,Green, Blue, Pink, Yellow
Orange is not a Snooker ball colour.
21) Blue, Orange, Green, Brown, Grey
Grey - In the P.O Telecoms TI's & EI's, the internal cables colour code assigns Slate as the the colour of the 5th wire.
22) Cheryl Tweedy, Melanie Chisholm, Nadine Coyle, Sarah Harding, Nicola Roberts, Kimberley Walsh
Spice Girl Melanie Chisholm others Girls Aloud
23) Commercial paper, Ream, Quarto, ISO 216, Foolscap folio, Quire, Grammage, Broadsheet
Commercial paper is an unsecured promissory note, in the global financial market, with a fixed maturity of rarely more than 270 days. The other are terms associated with sheet paper e.g quantity, quality, size & weight.
24) Cavendish, Mercury, Toll B, Varley, Kelvin, Trunk Director
Kelvin was not a automatic trunk exchange swiching call into the London Director Area.
25) Rod Stewart, Graham Bond, Julie Driscoll, Micky Waller, Brian Auger, Vic Briggs, Long John Baldry
Graham Bond of the Graham Bond Organisation was never a member of the 1960s rock/blues group Steampacket as were the others.
26) Francie Burke (Colonel), Gabriel John Utterson, Joanna Sedley, Sebastian Moran (Colonel), Billy Bones, David Balfour.
Sebastian Moran (Colonel) is a character in several Sherlock Homes novels written by Arthur Conan Doyle. The others are significant characters in Robert Louis Stevenson novels.
Colonel Francis Burke (The Master of Ballantrae) - Gabriel John Utterson (Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde)
Joanna Sedley (The Black Arrow) - Billy Bones (Treasure Island) - David Balfour (Kidnapped)
Send an email if you would like to see another quiz here.